Friday, November 7, 2008

Friday Flashback... digging deep into the archives

In anticipation of my MS walk, I have been thinking a lot about my mom lately.
First I have to ask myself, "how did I get so lucky?"
Second I have to ask myself, "HOW DID SHE DO IT????!!!"
So without further ado, here is a glimpse into my childhood... under the direction of my AMAZING mother.
isn't she beautiful
So many memories of the family CAMPING, swimming, fighting over who got to sleep on the pop-out bed, the camp kitchen (which in between camping trips held a goldmine of Little Debbie treats AND had a combination lock on it), rope swings, campfires, "going" on a tripod porta-potty, catching bugs, owl lanterns, swimming like fish, being filthy for days... you know, all the good camping stuff

Yes, that IS me & my siblings (including those in strollers) in the annual school TALENT SHOW , and YES we were in it nearly every year... with handmade costumes, wicked dance routines (ok, dorky) and funky music... and we loved every minute of it.


My mom has a talent for finding COOL THINGS. One year a local theater was getting rid of their old costumes, so my mother went & picked up the lot (not sure if any money was involved... she is also a fabulous bargain shopper... my kind of gal).
Needless to say, Halloween at our house was nothing short of spectacular.


Have I told you how much FUN she is? Growing up in the PRICE family included fireworks, pinatas, over-the-top-to-die-for birthday parties, selling pumpkins from our very own garden (and thinking we hit the mother load when a kindergarten teacher bought our whole wagon full), lots of laughter (with and at each other) and of course pie fights. Not to mention the fact that we all owned roller skates and skated our way to fitness around the neighborhood each morning as a family... wish I had a photo...

see below...
THIS was more often than not how our photos looked.
DAD, I'm so glad you & mom found each other.


Our family is rich in TRADITION... oh I love tradition, especially our Christmas traditions.
* ALL of the kids sleeping in our homemade fort on Christmas Eve (until a brawl broke out & we had to kick someone out for bad behavior)
* Cinnamon Walnuts & Peanut Butter Balls (I think you know what I'm talking about)
* making a jazillion treats to take to friends & family, and caroling our way through Midland
* making the most amazing & FUN treats to take to our teachers at school (which the teachers began to anticipate, hope for and maybe even expect) after having 7 Price kids attend Chestnut Hill Elementary.
* our jolly old st. nick that adorned our front porch... love that guy! (so much that I went out & found one to adorn MY front entry)
* AND of course acting out the nativity every Christmas Eve, scriptures in hand, where dad usually got the good fortune of playing the donkey.

There are days when I ask myself, is it possible for ALL of my children to be FRIENDS , to enjoy each others' company and WANT to spend time together?
If you ask any one of my siblings, the answer will be a resounding YES!!!
(Greg, Jon, Beckie, Cyndi, Lori, Mike, Dave)
So on the eve of my walk, I stop to reflect upon the woman I walk for, my mother who nurtured, who taught, who loved, who struggled and fell down... and jumped right back up, who played, who laughed, who swore on the rarest of occasions (when we knew we were REALLY in trouble), who made childhood magical as it should be.

Thank you does not seem adequate, but
THANK YOU MOM.

i told you it would be deep

2 comments:

Rydgd said...

You're making me cry....hope the walk was great! What a beautiful mom! I see where you get it from!

Liz said...

That was so awesome! I see where your fun side comes from. Great memories!