Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Spring Break Fever Part I (in the beginning)

Well, in case you didn't know, my husband is a
tax accountant.
Every year when Spring Break comes, poor Mike is in the heat of tax season.
He is such a good provider and hard worker (we appreciate you).
For years the kids & I would stay home, while it seemed like everyone else was hitting the road for adventure.
And during that week, we were lucky if we got to see Mike for a few minutes here and there...
IF we were lucky.
Then one year it dawned on me...

No Husband Home + Kids Off School For A Week (at the end of a long tax season) = total misery

and I realized...
We Don't Have To Stay Home!

* I am capable
* I am a good driver (NO tickets in 20+ years)
* My children are excellent car travelers
* Family within driving distance
* Utah in the spring, with the possibility of SNOW!
* 12 short hours on the road ... fun for the whole family

So, we made our first SOLO trip to Utah when Courtney was 9 months old (5 years ago)... and we've never looked back.
My heart beats a little bit faster just thinking about it...
The thrill of the open road.

Finding my way and conquering my fear of getting lost, despite my lack of an internal compass or any sense of direction (and with a bit of help from Mr. Garmin)

Enjoying our time in the car, talking, laughing, listening to some great tunes, watching movies, playing video games, coloring & SNACKING (worth it in and of itself for a snackmaster like me)

In the past 5 years the kids & I have made the trip a good 6-8 times and with the exception of a couple of disastrous drives (a post for another day), it has been a true joy.

I love to be able to get away from the hustle & bustle... I love that my children enjoy each others' company... I love strengthening bonds with family... I love Utah... I love having time with my children for a whole week and not having to share them with the entire neighborhood

and, although we all miss Mike terribly, the reunion is so very sweet.

To Be Continued...


No comments: