Saturday, September 20, 2008

Courtney's birth

It all started at 6:00 am on 7/11/02. Mike & I woke up to watch the morning news as we lay in bed on another hot summer day in Arizona. We happen to catch a news story about the "birthday" of the 7-11 convenience store... and as it were, they were giving away FREE SLURPEES. Say no more... we were up, dressed and in line to get our free (albeit bite size) slurpees within the hour. What a way to start the day...

The festive mood continued as Mike went off to work & Jon, McKay and I spent the morning playing. We decided to keep the party going and went to McDonalds for lunch, and I distinctly remember feeling my first "real" contractions.

I decided we better head home because I WAS NOT READY TO HAVE THIS BABY !

oh no.

* wash all pink laundry in Dreft
* organize all pink laundry into closets & drawers
*pack hospital bag
* hurry & type the rest of my charts from my medical transcription job (how can I concentrate?)
* clean house
* do not panic

I remember when my sister-in-law April came over to pick up the boys & I was furiously vacuuming the house.
Our conversation,
April: "Don't you think you ought to call Mike?"
Me: "Oooeee (contraction sound)... okay, as soon as I finish"
April: No, seriously Beck, I think you should call"
Me:"ooEeee... almost done..."
April: "Beck..."
Me: "Can't.go.to.hospital.with.dirty.house. OOEEooee"
April: "Are you forgetting that Mike is in Phoenix & will be right in the middle of rush hour traffic?"
Me: "OOOEEEE.oooeee.OOOEEE.oooeee... (dialing mildly panicked)... Mike, you need to get home N-O-W!!!"

When we got to the hospital I was 6 cm dilated, and our darling Courtney was born a couple short hours & several pushes later (2 weeks early).

Courtney Marie Taylor
6 lbs 15 oz
20 inches

We waited 7 1/2 long years for you to join our family, and we couldn't be happier.

We love you Courtney.

No comments: